Friday, July 29, 2011

a giant like Goliath

Sometimes there is a giant you think is too big to fight. Sometimes it looks like Goliath described in 1 Samuel 17: "He was over nine feet tall. He had a bronze helmet on his head and wore a coat of scale armor of bronze weighing five thousand shekels; on his legs he wore bronze greaves, and a bronze javelin was slung on his back. His spear shaft was like a weaver's rod, and its iron point weighed six hundred shekels. His shield bearer went ahead of him." But good news, the all powerful conquerer of the world is fighting the giant. He goes before us and beside us. In reality, we can't fight the giant. But God can! So when I'm struggling with Satan, Lord I need you to step in, because I know I am so unable to fight my own battles. 1 Samuel 17:8 says, "Goliath stood and shouted to the ranks of Israel, "Why do you come out and line up for battle? Am I not a Philistine, and are you not the servants of Saul? Choose a man and have him come down to me." Sometimes this enemy tries to reason with us. Tempt us. But it's a fight that is already won. We don't have to prove our strength against Satan, that was already done. Christ died to save us from this enemy in advance. When I'm fighting Satan, I don't really need to fight, I turn to Christ who already conquered the battle. But sometimes our struggles are persistant. 1 Samuel 17:16 says, "For forty days the Philistine came forward every morning and every evening and took his stand." Temptation. An enemy pursuing us. But like David.. with childlike faith we take a stand and turn to Christ. And we win the battle.

David wasn't searching for position, for power. He was simply obedient and willing. Obedient and willing. Sometimes the Lord will ask us to do crazy things. Are you willing to be obedient? David was and he conquered the giant. Trust. Such a huge obstacle that seperates us from God. Let's follow David's example. 1 Samuel 17:34-35 says "But David said to Saul, "Your servant has been keeping his father's sheep. When a lion or a bear came and carried off a sheep from the flock, I went after it, struck it and rescued the sheep from its mouth. When it turned on me, I seized it by its hair, struck it and killed it." He remembered that he had killed the lion and the bear. He looked back and remembered the battles he had already won. Just as we should. We must look back and remember the Lord's faithfulness, giving us strength to trust Him through another.

Thank you Lord for fighting our giants.

No comments:

Post a Comment